Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Reading Room for Jan 6, 2011

Thomas Sowell: The progressive embrace of Third World culture
Dr. Victor Davis Hanson's quietly chilling article, "Two Californias," in National Review Online, ought to be read by every American who is concerned about where this country is headed. California is leading the way, but what is happening in California is happening elsewhere-- and is a slow poison that is being largely ignored.

Byron York: Pelosi's partisan parting shot
At mid-day Wednesday, it fell to now-former Speaker Nancy Pelosi to introduce her successor, John Boehner, as he was sworn in as Speaker of the House. Some might have forgotten, but four years ago, on January 4, 2007, it was Boehner (not the departing Dennis Hastert) who introduced Pelosi when she first became Speaker. A look at the two speeches -- Pelosi introducing Boehner and Boehner introducing Pelosi -- shows striking differences.

Larry Elder: The top 10 political lies of 2010
The biggest political "lie" of 2010? The winner is: the Republican assertion that ObamaCare is a "government takeover of health care."

City Journal: Why NYC can’t afford enough sanitation workers to clean up the snow
If money could melt snow, Mayor Bloomberg would be basking in victory over the storm. When he took office in 2002, Gotham spent $1.3 billion annually on the Department of Sanitation. Today, the city spends more than $2.2 billion on “New York’s Strongest.”

12 comments:

Fam Guy said...

Interesting article about Texas, who some think should be a model for the rest of the country. Au contraire...
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/07/opinion/07krugman.html?_r=2&ref=opinion

Jim said...

FamGuy with the NY Times. does it suprise anyone. left wing biased article not worth reading so I won't.

Well hope we have a good new year now there is some balance of power in govn't.

Fam Guy said...

Yeah Jim, don't bother with the facts. You never have before.

Steve said...

Krugman is using the worst-case scenario and has inflated the figures.

It is a left-wing biased article, as all of Krugman's "articles" are. I did my own research in this, and with its $8 billion rainy day fund, Texas will not end up like California, Illinois, or New York.

Jim, you just have to take Olsen for what he is. He thinks only he his right about everything and if you disagree with him, you have a "defective brain."

According to a recent post on his "blog," his arrogance is plainly illustrated.

"You may disagree with me,but what you don't realize is that you're experiencing an illusion, caused by your limited comprehension. IF you were able to fully comprehend both the problem and my recommended solution you would agree with me. SO, what appears to be a difference of opinion, is merely you wrestling with a defective brain. Understand? Didn't think so. "

Fam Guy said...

The quote was from the Sunday comic of Dilbert,which most people got a laugh from. BUT, as I expected, the humor is WAY over your head.

Steve said...

Then you need to attribute it, since not all of us read Dilbert yesterday. It sounded so much like you, that I guess you didn't attribute it on purpose in an attempt to take credit for the thought.

Fam Guy said...

Maybe you should have read the first part of that post also. Seemed like a quote right up your alley. But I realize, anything with the tagline Famguy or Krugman, you are automatically gonna disagree with, no matter how correct.

Steve said...

I've read the quote from Cicero before. It's still appropriate today. We are doing the same stupid things the Romans did...and it will probably have the same result.

So you want me to say I agree with you (or Krugman) when I do? Why? I din't think either of you needed my affirmations, or even cared...I'm sure Krugman doesn't.

BTW, when it come to economics, or politics, I'll listen to Dr. Thomas Sowell's long before I'll go along with anything Krugman says.

Fam Guy said...

Didn't say I wanted your affirmation. Quite the opposite. I'd be worried if I got much. I'm sure PK would say the same. Merely pointing out your knee 'jerk' reaction, even to a Cicero quote.

Steve said...

Screw you. There was no knee jerk (and I got your hidden meaning) reaction to anything.

Fam Guy said...

Your loss. Without my comments, you got nuthin, which you, and your ilk, deserve.

Steve said...

Good bye, you left-wing loon.