Real nice. And it's the Tea Parties that have the left and the MSM worried about violence. No Tea Party demonstration or protest matched what is going on in Arizona and elsewhere.
But we should be more understanding, because it really does seem that the left in this country truly gets deranged over this subject of illegal aliens streaming across our borders. As opposed to "undocumented workers." So much nicer, makes you feel good all over, a tingly feeling running up your leg (right, Chris Matthews?)
Leo Banks, who covers the border for Tuscon Weekly, offers some context in an article for American Thinker:
This isn't your father's illegal immigration, when polite farm workers offered to do chores in return for some water and a sandwich as they walked north. Today, the drug cartels have taken over the people-smuggling business. They own the trails into the country and dominate the land, the same way urban gangs control neighborhoods...Then, a highly respected rancher in Arizona is gunned down by a suspected drug smuggler, still at large, presumably in Mexico. The State of Arizona reacts by saying they are going to enforce federal law.
Along the Chiricahua Corridor smuggling route north and east of Douglas, Arizona, residents have been screaming for some time about break-ins, threats, intimidation, vandalism, and home invasions. But the feds did nothing to keep citizens safe. Instead, they talked amnesty.
Now, the Hispanic News in Tuscon says:
Arizona SB 1070, which will become Arizona law 90 days after the state legislature’s present session comes to an end, will bring havoc on Arizona directly turning Arizona into a Gestapo state violating the civil rights of Arizona Hispanics by significantly increasing police profiling of everyone with a brown face.Gestapo? This shows no understanding of what really happened in Germany in the 1930s. Stopping illegal immigration (of all races, not just Hispanic) and its corresponding horrendous crime rates, is the motivation. The Nazis had different motivations.
Crime in Arizona is out of control. Phoenix is the number two kidnapping capitol of the world, behind number one Mexico City.
But keep crying racism. It won't do any good. If the federal government would get off its ass and do it's job, this would not be an issue.
And we have the President of Mexico weighing in as well. He should be ashamed, but he has economic motivations. The measure, which will make it a crime under state law to be an illegal immigrant, “opens the door to intolerance, hate, discrimination and abuse in law enforcement,” Calderon said.
So what would happen if an American citizen was in Mexico illegally? Foreigners who fail to obey the rules will be fined, deported, and/or imprisoned as felons:
- Foreigners who fail to obey a deportation order are to be punished. (Article 117)
- Foreigners who are deported from Mexico and attempt to re-enter the country without authorization can be imprisoned for up to 10 years. (Article 118)
- Foreigners who violate the terms of their visa may be sentenced to up to six years in prison (Articles 119, 120 and 121). Foreigners who misrepresent the terms of their visa while in Mexico — such as working with out a permit — can also be imprisoned.
- A penalty of up to two years in prison and a fine of three hundred to five thousand pesos will be imposed on the foreigner who enters the country illegally.” (Article 123)
- Foreigners with legal immigration problems may be deported from Mexico instead of being imprisoned. (Article 125)
- Foreigners who “attempt against national sovereignty or security” will be deported. (Article 126)
- A Mexican who marries a foreigner with the sole objective of helping the foreigner live in the country is subject to up to five years in prison. (Article 127)
- Shipping and airline companies that bring undocumented foreigners into Mexico will be fined. (Article 132)
Hat tip to Cassio Fiano for some of this material.